Warm Up Before You Lace Up
By Jessica Hofheimer, Garmin Ambassador
As a 20-time marathoner, running coach and Pilates teacher, I have learned the importance of a pre-run routine over the years. Particularly as we age, we need to spend the time to prioritize the little things that help prevent injury and help us stay healthy.
Taking a short 5-10 minutes to warm up before heading out for your run will set you up for success and help you achieve your goals, whether you’re new to the sport or are a seasoned athlete.
Warming up allows your body to get prepared and reduces the risk of injury, promoting longevity and enjoyment in the sport — and helping you beat yesterday for years to come!
Here are a few of the benefits of a pre-run routine:
- Activates the muscles that we use for efficient movement patterns and strength in running – particularly the core stabilizers, glutes and hamstrings
- Opens the hips, gently loosening tight muscles, which helps to increase the range of motion and prevent pulls or tears
- Gives you an opportunity to set the intention for your run and dial in your focus
- Increases body awareness and helps you tune into how your body is feeling before you run
- Gets your heart rate up gradually and improves blood flow
*This article is not intended to substitute for informed medical advice. The recommendations shared will be specific to each person. Always check with your doctor before starting a new fitness routine.*
Sample Block Quote
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo loremous convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos.
Sample Paragraph Text
Praesent vestibulum congue tellus at fringilla. Curabitur vitae semper sem, eu convallis est. Cras felis nunc commodo eu convallis vitae interdum non nisl. Maecenas ac est sit amet augue pharetra convallis nec danos dui.
Cras suscipit quam et turpis eleifend vitae malesuada magna congue. Damus id ullamcorper neque. Sed vitae mi a mi pretium aliquet ac sed elitos. Pellentesque nulla eros accumsan quis justo at tincidunt lobortis denimes loremous. Suspendisse vestibulum lectus in lectus volutpat, ut dapibus purus pulvinar. Vestibulum sit amet auctor ipsum.